Shirley Marrs
Laura St.George
Shirley Marrs, who was Grand Marshall in the 4th of July parade in 2012 is the only pioneer of the Pointe who is still living in her original residence.
Shirley recalls hearing about the Weyerhaeuser development back in 1970, while visiting Lake Limerick with friends.  
A steady Pacific Northwest rain was falling, and there wasn’t anything else to do, so they decided to come and have a look at Hartstene Pointe.  
Shirley’s family owned a house on Lake Quinault where she grew up and loved the woods and water.  Upon entering the Pointe, she saw that same forested environment.  Shirley says what appealed to her about the Pointe was its similarity to Lake Quinault.
She was interested in a place that provided some privacy, and a home of her own that she could take care of herself, and perhaps retire to some day.
The clubhouse was completed with offices from which business was conducted for buyers. Music was playing inside and the finished pool looked so inviting.  
Pictures and books were displayed showing the four furnished open Island House models from which buyers could make their choices.  At that time, no other island houses or regular houses were built.
Originally, she commented,  Weyerhaeuser planned the development for its employees after the bridge to the island was built.  Quadrant’s sale pitch was for buyers to rent the island houses as income property, but that didn’t materialize.
The realtor, Smitty, showed her the lot at 747 Promontory, noting that there was nothing but woods beyond that spot.  Smitty drove them in a jeep on muddy, bumpy roads down to the North Beach and the spit.  The roads were only paved around the clubhouse.
Shirley purchased the lot at 747 Promontory which was the last lot on that road.  The rest of the area down to the forthcoming marina was wooded.  She signed the contract and in 1971, construction began on her island house and its adjoining house.

Shirley returned to Hartstene for the first time after purchasing her lot, and found that a trailer with all of the building equipment and supplies were parked on the lot.  After the house was finished,  the Parker’s contractor had model furniture brought in and he stayed in her part on weekdays.  She remembers that the appliances and fireplace were stolen before locks were put on the doors.

Bob and Myrtle Parker stayed in her house on weekends and used the model furniture while their home was being built on Pointes Drive West. They returned one weekend and the furniture had all been removed.  Only their own bed was left.

When asked how the Pointe has changed over the years, Shirley says that it is basically the same, but with many more homes and people; she would buy here again, today, because “It is a place that I love.” 
She cherishes the community feeling and how the residents take care of each other.  There are many activities that one can enjoy.  She credits the first Board of Directors and the many others who were so insightful about the future of the Pointe and keeping it so well maintained. 
She hopes that HPMA will always preserve what we have here.  She went on to say that when she crosses the bridge onto the island, she feels she is in God’s country, and the hustle and bustle of the world are left behind.  Her will is to stay here until her last breath.