Owners became concerned about fire and fire protection soon after Hartstene Pointe was developed. Fire was a serious threat with the dry summers, heavy woods and thick underbrush. The nearest fire truck was in Allyn, a half-hour away. Owners were encouraged to keep a garden hose and nozzle available and open fires were not permitted during the dry months.
In 1973, owners first attempted to buy a fire truck. Timberlakes offered to sell their truck, and the vehicle was licensed by the Association in order to drive it to the Pointe. Board members indicated that the engine had "questionable mechanical integrity;" they refused to purchase the truck; and announced at a board meeting that Timberlakes should be billed for the cost of the license.
The December, 1974 newsletter states that the Pointe purchased a 1944 Seagrave 5000 BPM pumper fire engine for $1,300 from King County. The package included a CO2 fire extinguisher, ladders, hose, 15 helmets, and a radio. The Allyn fire department offered organizational assistance. Bob Phillips spearheaded the project and was appointed the first Fire Chief.
The volunteer Hartstene Pointe Fire Department comprised of property owners was created shortly after the purchase. Fire drills were held and the community was excited. The sight of the new fire truck running on Pointes Drive was a cause for celebrations and trainings. Six residents were certified as fire fighters on the Pointe.
Owners expressed interest in becoming part of the fire district, feeling it would be even safer, but annexation required signatures of 60% of the local island residents. By the end of 1975, sufficient names were obtained and Hartstene Pointe was annexed into the Allyn Fire District. The ownership of the truck was transferred to the district, however, it was stored at Hartstene Pointe.
In 1976, Bob Parker, a resident architect, designed the two bay firehouse. It was built across the street from the clubhouse and is now used as the Exercise Room. The association allocated $10,000 for the project and building was completed by volunteer labor in mid 1977.
Even though the owners were told protection would be inadequate, twenty-fire fire hydrants were purchased and installed.
After the installation of the fire hydrants, construction of firehouse, and annexation into District #5, the Washington Fire Rating Bureau, established an 8 rating for Harstene Pointe. This meant there was good fire protection and lower insurance rates.
Board minutes indicate a new truck was purchased in August, 1979. IT was a 1953 Federal 500 gallon pumper.
The fire trucks have had little activity, however, newsletters and board minutes report fires. A boat fire was reported at Indian Cove in 1979. A fire in the chimney area of the Gate House caused $8,000 damage in 1981. Two brush fires near the spit were noted in 1982.
The minutes and newsletter never stated what happened to the fire trucks. Does anyone know?