Short Term Rental Survey 2_May 2022
In March, we sent a our planned second survey to the community to gauge support for recommendations that the Short-Term Rental (STR) committee was considering to present to the board for adoption.
When we looked at the results we saw a huge discrepancy between the number of respondents who answered the information related to ownership and the number of respondents who answered the recommendation questions and felt that there was a possibility of missing owner input.
We believe there was an technical issue with the previous survey platform where it did not save all the answers and feedback that was provided. The STR committee made the decision to redo the survey on a different platform.
We apologize for the inconvenience of having to do this survey twice. But the STR committee believes that it is crucial to accurately and completely capture all community feedback in order to to make recommendations to the board. Results to the survey will also be posted on the website.
The Short Term Rental Committee was authorized by the HPMA Board last year to recommend adjustments to existing rules or new rules to better manage guests of rental properties. The committee has taken a three-pronged approach through; Education, Engagement and Enforcement and are considering the following recommendations to the Board. The purpose of this survey is to gauge community support for these recommendations.
Recommendations from the Short Term Rental Committee
1. Develop, publish and recommend that owners post the primary rules of the Pointe to be used by guests and tenants when owners are not present.
2. Review, revise and recommend a new fine structure around ‘personal behavior’ conduct (see below).
3. Review existing STR WAC requirements with respect to fire safety, maximum occupancy, business licensing, insurance etc. Post those requirements on the STR web page and provide to landlords with the expectation that they are to be complied with. Chapter 64.37 RCW: SHORT-TERM RENTALS (wa.gov)
4. Recommend to the Board that HPMA adopt a registration system for both homes in the rental market and for the tenants that rent them.
Review of HPMA Fine Structure:
The STR committee has reviewed the current fines and is making recommendations to the Board that will apply equally to everyone; property owners, guests, and tenants alike.
The proposed fine structure is designed to place a larger financial burden on habitual offenders (applicable to property owners, guests and tenants).
Note: Progressive fines would reset and start over at the first of the year.
Please select link below to complete the Short Term Rental Survey #2 by no later than May 31st.
Ad Hoc Short Term Rental Committee and the
HPMA Board of Directors
Ad Hoc Advisory 2021 Short Term Rental Committee
The HPMA board recently formed an Ad-Hoc Committee to recommend adjustments to existing rules or new rules to better manage guests of rental properties.
Teleconference Meetings for 2022:
1st and 3rd Fridays of the month at 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 869 2797 5997
One tap mobile
+12532158782,,86927975997#,,,,*946841# US (Tacoma)
+16699006833,,86927975997#,,,,*946841# US (San Jose)
Dial by your location
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 869 2797 5997
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kctclYZoat
Friday Sept 24: 2pm - 3pm
Deep dive survey one data and begin to discuss next steps
Friday Oct 1: 2pm - 3pm
Solidify next steps in preparation for Oct BOD meeting (Oct 7)
Friday Oct 21: 2pm -3pm
Review action items and craft survey 2
Friday Nov 5
The HPMA board recently formed an Ad-Hoc Committee to explore community sentiment around rentals at Hartstene Pointe. Your responses will help us gauge community support for keeping rules as they are or to recommend adjustments to existing rules or new rules to better manage guests of rental properties.
Survey 1 Results:
HPMA Short Term Rental Survey Results August 2021
Response Rate: n= 371
1. What type of property do you own at the Pointe?
Island Home (72/371) 19.50%
Multiple Properties (13/370) 3.50%
2. Do you currently rent one of more properties you own at the Pointe?
At least one long term (6+ months) (10/370) 2.70%
At least one short term (27/370) 7.30%
I do not rent my property (306/371) 82.40%
I intend to rent my property in future (33/370) 8.90%
3. If you do not currently rent your property, are you planning to within the next year?
Yes, Long term basis (6+ months) (7/370) 1.90%
Yes, Short Term basis (44/370) 11.90%
No I do not plan to rent (292/371) 78.60%
4. Do you believe Rental Properties impact the Hartstene Pointe Community?
Negative Impact (130/371) 34.90%
Positive Impact (30/370) 8.10%
Both Positive and Negative Impact (185/370) 50.00%
Do not impact (23/370) 6.20%
5. What concerns do you have about Rental Properties at Hartstene Pointe?
Behavior/Rule Compliance (295/370) 79.50%
Gate Entry/Security (217/371) 58.40%
Fire Safety (195/371) 52.40
Overuse of resources/amenities
No respect/investment for community
6. What positive benefits do you believe rental properties provide at the Pointe?
A place for family/friends to stay (251/370) 67.80%
Potential owners try before buy (176/370) 47.60%
Financial benefits for property owners (207/370) 55.90%
None - no positive benefits
Increases property values
7. Have you ever had an issue with a Rental?
Smoking - common area/trails
Piggy backing at gate/unauthorized use
Not putting out beach fires
8. If So, did you contact Patrol?
Yes (78/371) 20.80%
9. What other additional comments do you have on this topic?
110 owner comments:
Owner to enforce rules/renters to follow rules
Support for Short Term Rentals at Pointe
Running rental as a business
Guest registration online/in the office
Piggy backing in the gate
Opportunities for others to enjoy Pointe
Renters support local business
Limit amount of time for renters to use amenities